UFE Procedure in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area
If you have been diagnosed with Uterine Fibroids, contact Dr. Handley and his team at North Texas Fibroids to learn more about Uterine Fibroid Embolization. We specialize in this minimally invasive procedure to treat uterine fibroids. Schedule an appointment at our Flower Mound office to discuss any questions you may have.
Steps to Treatment
If you feel UFE might be the right treatment option for you then please follow these steps:
Do your homework!
Conduct research on the Internet or at the library on which uterine fibroid treatments are appropriate for you. Visit websites such as the National Uterine Fibroid Foundation (www.nuff.org), American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (www.acog.org) or the Society of Interventional Radiology (www.sirweb.org) which has an entire section on uterine fibroid embolization.
Talk to your OB-GYN!
Your OB-GYN is a physician specialist who provides medical and surgical care to women and has particular expertise in pregnancy, childbirth, and disorders of the reproductive system. Your OB-GYN will help you understand more about fibroids and the related symptoms. They will also inform you of all available fibroid treatment options.
Seek a second, third or fourth opinion.
- Obtain a complete copy of your medical records from your current OB-GYN and do not hesitate to discuss treatment options with other doctors.
- Keep talking until you are comfortable with what you hear. You and your doctor should both be satisfied with your treatment plan.
- Come to talk to us. We specialize in uterine fibroid embolization and we’ll be able to help determine if you are a good candidate for UFE.
Talk to other women with uterine fibroids.
- Try to identify and speak with women who have had treatments for their uterine fibroids to learn about their individual experiences.
- Discuss alternatives with your doctor so he/she knows you are aware of them and to see if you are a potential candidate for UFE.
- Many hospitals have women’s health seminars that feature a discussion on fibroids.
Make an appointment!
Give us a call at the number listed above. We would be happy to discuss if you are a good candidate for UFE. Here are some questions you might think about asking us:
- Please explain how you would coordinate my care with my OB-GYN.
- Which OB-GYNs refer to you for UFE?
- How often is the procedure successful in treating uterine fibroids?
- Are your patients happy with the procedure?
- How often do complications occur? What are typical complications?
- How will I feel during and after the UFE procedure?
- How long should I expect to be away from work?
- What is the length of the procedure? What is the normal recovery time?
- How long should I expect to stay in the hospital?
- What kind of follow-up care is typical and who manages it?
- What typically happens to the fibroids after the blood supply is cut off? Should I expect them to be expelled vaginally or will the procedure simply result in my fibroids shrinking?
- Will my fibroids, or the symptoms of my fibroids, come back?
- Will I still get my periods after having UFE and what will they be like?
- Will my insurance cover uterine fibroid embolization?
© 2003-2015 Merit Medical Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Financing Information for UFE
- List of the insurance plans that we accept
- More information about the CareCredit credit card